Special Olmpics NY Oath

Special Olmpics NY Oath
"Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt"~Athlete Oath

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Adventures from a Special Olympics Staff

Hello.  My name is Teresa.  Here is the start of the line of stories you will read from me about my experiences of being part of the Special Olympics Staff.  I hope you enjoy.  Let the stories being.....

In December of 2004, the last Company I was working for, lost a bid, and had to close their doors. So, in January of 2005, I was desperately looking for a job.  I saw an ad that Special Olympics Dutchess County was looking for an Administrative Assistant.  I applied and got the job!!!  I started in February 2005.

After accepting this job,  I said to myself that would I would keep job hunting as my background is Computer Science and that is the field I wanted to get back into. Needless to say, I am still here and I am now the Director of Development for Special Olympics NY - Hudson Valley Region.  Why?  I will be posting some of my experiences working as a Staff for Special Olympics NY.  It is truly a rewarding, heart-warming job/experience and truly love what I do!

2005 - Time Trials East
In the Spring of 2005, I went to my first ever 2005 Time Trials.  I was excited because I was going to meet many Coaches and Athletes, which I did!  They were ALL wonderful  They were kind, loving and they made me feel like family. Touched my heart!

During the games, It started to drizzle.  The Athletes and Coaches were enjoying themselves, nonetheless, and were determined to continue.  They still all had smiles on their faces which bought one to mine too.  I thought that this was so cool.  They were all determined and ran all races on time.  We even beat the down pour of rain later that afternoon.  I thought WOW!

As I was looking around, I saw a couple with a newborn baby.  I thought to my self, "I wonder who they are with?  I should walk over and see the baby."  During this thought, I was distracted and when I looked over a little while later, I saw the Lady, crying.  It was just starting the drizzle and they were starting to walk to their car.  I ran, got two t-shirts, and ran over to them.  I introduced my self, gave them the shirts to say, Thanks for coming, and then I said "Aw.... what a beautiful Baby!"  She smiled and I asked, "Is everything OK?"  She laughed and said "These are tears of joy.  My baby girl was born with Down Syndrome and was worried about her future."  She proceeded to say, "My Husband and I, heard about this event and just stopped by to see what Special Olympics is all about.  Do you know what I saw?" I shook my head no.  She then said "Love!".  I smiled.  I told her this was my first experience as well and said, "Truly a touching experience".  She smiled, thanked me for the shirts, and gave me a hug and kiss and said, "Your smile says it all.  My Daughter has a future. Thank you.". They turned and walked away.  I just smiled and thought to myself, WOW!!!!! :)

My first memorable experience of Special Olympics - More to come!






No comments:

Post a Comment